Welcome to the FYRE!
The First-Year Residential Experience at SJC Off-Campus Housing
The FYRE program is designed to help all first-year housing students make a positive transition into living at The St. George Residence. This program focuses on the values of community, service and responsibility.
On move-in day, Aug. 25, you will meet your RAs who will play a key role in helping you to create a positive living environment. As the semester continues, you will take part in workshops specifically designed and tailored to your needs and interests, covering such topics as: healthy eating, positive relationships, stress management and finding a job or internship. Along with the scheduled programs, there are also a number social events spread out through the semester that will further enhance the sense of community with the other members of SJC Off-Campus Housing.
While students are encouraged to attend all of the social events, they are required to attend the orientations, workshops and one of the volunteer shifts.
Important FYRE Dates
Saturday, Aug. 25: Move-In Day/Family Dinner and Resident Parent Orientation
- If you have not already done so please RSVP for the Resident Student Family Orientation and Dinner on August 25th by emailing Michele Corsetti- email@example.com
Monday, Aug. 27: Resident Student Orientation/Workshop 1 Mandatory Event
Wednesday, Aug. 29: New Student Orientation Mandatory Event
Thursday, Sept. 20: FYRE Workshop 2(Common Hour)
Thursday, Oct. 11: FYRE Workshop 3 (Common Hour)
Thursday, Nov. 15: Workshop 4(Common Hour)
Tuesday, Dec. 4: FYRE Workshop 5 (Common Hour)
Sunday, Aug. 26
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.: “Hangin’ with the RAs!” – Each RA will be leading a different game or activity at the St. George Residence.
- 5 p.m.: OCHA SJC Family Dinner – Free and held at the Park Plaza Diner.
Monday, Aug. 27
- 8 p.m.: Ice Cream Social – Held at the residence hall.
Tuesday, Aug. 28
- 11 a.m.: “Aloe! Neighbor” – RA Paige will lead you in planting succulents for your room. Held at the residence hall.
- 6 p.m.: “Food on the Floor” – Get into the hallway and meet the other SJC students on your floor!
Thursday, Aug. 30
- FYRE Volunteer Day 1: Here at SJC we are committed to community service and expect all new residents to volunteer at our partner soup kitchen. We recommend signing up for one of these shifts so that you have the opportunity to experience giving back before the start of the semester. Sign up with RA Riley.
- Shifts Available
- 9:30-12 (5 spots)
- 12-2:30 (5 spots)
- 4:30-7 (12 spots)
Friday, Aug. 31
- IKEA/FairWay/Target/Trader Joe’s Shopping Trips
Saturday, Sep. 1
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: “NYC Fun on a Budget” – Having a great time in Brooklyn does not have to break the bank. NYC is full of free or low cost activities. Held at Pier 2.
Sunday, Sep 2
- Field Day at Cadmen Plaza Park: Outdoor sports with RA Matt
Monday, Sep. 3
- 2 p.m.: “Let’s Go To The Movies!” – Movie at United Artist Court Street.
Tuesday, Sep 4
- 2:30 p.m.: “Beat the Bomb!” – Join RA Vic at this unique escape the room experience. Mandatory event
Aug. 30, Sept. 14, Oct. 19 and Nov. 9
More information on how to sign up will be given out at the Resident Student Orientation on Monday, Aug. 27.